Lighthouse Technology


On AGA's behalf Gustaf Dalén created a number of apparatus which revolutionized lighthouse technology: the flashing apparatus, the sun valve, the AGA compound, the Dalén mixer, the mantle changer and the rotating and swinging lenses. Together these allow reliable, automatic lighthouse operation worldwide and formed the foundation for AGA's continued product development and diversification. The lighthouses were AGA´s true core business until AB Pharos was sold at the beginning of the 1980s. This product area now lives on through Pharos Marin Ltd., which has its head office in the U.K.
.


.
The Blockhusudden Lighthouse in Stockholm’s Djurgĺrden was one of the early AGA lighthouses. It operated uninterrupted from its installation in 1912 until electrification in 1980 and came to symbolize Dalén’s inventive powers and the reliability of the AGA lighthouses.

During its 68 years in operation the lighthouse consumed approximately 1.8 million liters of acetylene and flashed 400 million times.